Things NOT to say to a widow/widower:
- It was God’s will.
- He’s in a better place now.
- Everything happens for a reason. (you deserve to be shot for this one)
- You’re lucky to be alive (post-accident).
- God must have a special plan for you.
- What are you doing for fun?
- Do you feel better now? (after several months have passed)
- Have you thought about going to church?
- He (deceased) would like you to do that (fill in the blank).
- Maybe you need a makeover.
I know it’s hard to think of things to say to a widow or widower, and I don’t blame anyone for feeling inept. I know most people do their best not to stay stupid and inappropriate things. But platitudes and suggestions for rejuvenating one’s relationship with their Maker (whomever that might be) are generally unwelcome. Keep in mind that I am a lapsed Catholic, so I do have a religious background and spiritual inclination.
Hope you all have a great day!